A resolution is a firm decision to do or to not do something. Resolutions are about beginning something new, or starting over again; and it’s always easier to have a resolution than to finish it. It takes fire in the soul to keep one’s resolve, and sometimes that fire can burn out. God revived David many times in his life (Psalm 28:6–9). Do we need reviving? Does our faith need rekindling? The consequence of neglect is devastating (cf. Ecc 10:18).
I. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE FIRE GOES OUT?
A. Worship is neglected (John 4:23-24)
B. Compassion is absent (Matt 9:11-13, 36)
C. Holiness is abandoned (Rom 12:1; 1 Pet 2:5, 9)
D. Faith is defeated (1 Tim 1:18; 6:12; 2 Tim 4:7)
II. WHAT WILL SMOTHER THE FIRE?
A. Self-satisfied (Rev 3:17)
B. Hopelessness (1 Cor 15:57–58)
C. Apathetic people (Num 13:30–31; Matt 15:8; Luke 12:1)
D. No fear of judgment (2 Cor 5:10; Mark 9:40-48)
E. Insufficient love for Christ (Eph 5:25-27; Jer 2:1-3; Rev 2:1-4)
1. I don’t attend the Bible classes
2. I neglect the assemblies
3. I make excuses
4. I don’t’ bring a Bible to building
5. I don’t hunger for God’s word every day
6. I don’t read God’s word for transformation, just information
7. I don’t sing out, or sing at all
8. I am not moved by the hymns
9. My thoughts are consumed with this world
10. I don’t look forward to being with the church
11. I would I rather be somewhere else today
12. I complain about church members/leadership
13. I don’t try to encourage anyone
14. I don’t pray that often
15. I have no goals for spiritual growth
16. I am not indignant when God’s name is used in vain
17. I am amused by the sins that crucified Jesus
18. I’ve never taught the gospel to anyone
19. I’ve never started a spiritual conversation
20. I don’t spend any time thinking of Heaven
III. WHAT WILL REVIVE THE FIRE? (Rev 2:4–5)
A. Remember: relive the memories and emotions
B. Repent: get back to basics, quickly
C. Repeat: the deeds you did at first
“The cross is a blazing fire at which our heart is kindled,
but we have to get near enough to it to catch a spark.”
Rekindled the fire in Your heart with love for Christ.
Our Father is willing to salvage any relationship.
Be intense and intentional in turning to Him (Malachi 3:7)