James 5:7-12; Psa 37:7-11
Patience is not a standalone trait. To have patience we must have faith, and to have faith we must “trust in the Lord”. We’re not going to believe anything the Lord has promised, and we’re certainly not going to have the patience it takes to secure those promises, unless we first trust Him. A trusting faith will be patient and wait on the Lord to accomplish His purpose through the trials of faith (James 1:2-4; Rom 5:3-4).
I. TEMPTATIONS IN PATIENCE
A. Complaining (Jas 5:9)
1. The longer we wait, the more likely we will complain.
B. False statements (Jas 5:12; Matt 5:33-37)
1. When the pressure is on, honesty is the first to go.
C. Temptation resistance (Jas 5:9, 12)
1. The Judge is standing, the Judgment is coming.
II. EXAMPLES IN PATIENCE
A. Farmers (Jas 5:7-8; Psa 130:1-6)
1. Don’t let appearances discourage you.
B. Prophets (Jas 5:10; Acts 7:52; Matt 5:11-12)
1. Looking back can help you look forward.
C. Job (Jas 5:11; Job 42:10-17; Jas 1:12)
1. He had no clue, but his patience was rewarded.
God has never wavered on His promises.
And even though we have wavered in our commitment to His promises,
they remain steadfast and unchangeable to the end (2 Peter 3:9).