What does it mean to have hope in God? It means we have a desire and expectation for what He has promised (Acts 24:15; 1 Tim 1:1; Titus 1:1-3). But why do hope in God? It is because we trust Him. There are 3 attributes of trust in God, which leads to hope.
I. TRUSTING GOD’S POWER
A. To HOPE in God is to TRUST His power (ability).
1. The Israelites placed their trust in God’s power (Exo 15:1-13).
2. So must we, and for similar reasons (Eph 3:20-21).
a. Food (Matt 6:11). Livelihood (Eph 4:28; Psa 37:25). Health (Jas 5:15). Spiritual protection (Matt 6:13). Opportunities to teach the gospel (1 Cor 16:9; Rev 3:8). A quiet & peaceable nation (1 Tim 2:2).
b. Our eternal salvation, resurrection (1 Peter 1:3-9; 1 Cor 6:14; 2 Cor 13:4).
II. TRUSTING GOD’S WISDOM
A. To HOPE in God is to TRUST His wisdom.
1. Naaman was finally convinced of God’s wisdom (2 Kings 5).
2. Daniel prayed for God’s wisdom (Daniel 2:19-22; Psa 139:12).
III. TRUSTING GOD’S GOODNESS (KINDNESS, VIRTUE, BENEFICENCE, UPRIGHTNESS)
A. To HOPE in God is to TRUST His goodness.
1. God is merciful toward His children (Matt 7:11; Rom 2:4, 7; 11:22).
2. His goodness is to come out in our actions (2 Thess 1:11-12).
“When we walk with the Lord, in the light of His Word, what a glory He sheds on our way. While we do His good will, He abides with us still, and with all who will trust and obey.” John H. Sammis, 1887